Friday 7 June 2019

Never build your foundations on soft soil....

Well, remember I said to make a plan or plan to fail, and that it is important to track progress and look at what's coming next... Just as well, as I received a serious set back when I was informed by my blacksmith that he would not be able to make my metal bases nor plinth in the timescales planned for.



I now have to identify a solution that is achievable within the remaining time and, most importantly, is both strong and dense enough to provide a stable foundation for the weight of glass being displayed.

I considered a wooden option that still allowed me to realise a variable configurative base.  I mocked up a maquette to test this out but realised that it wasn't going to be solid enough to provide the stability required.

I then looked at my concrete option.  I had originally considered this way back in the project as one aspect of my design influence was the era in which I have lived and how the concrete high rise tower blocks have been a constant presence and are very indicative of my era, this time in human history.  I had been aware of other glass artists that have used concrete as part of their piece, such as Harry Morgan and Ben Young however my use was going to be different, it wasn't going to be integrated with the glass.  Also, I wanted to portray the strength and ruggedness of concrete, to get a sense of it.

 

A concrete base wouldn't give me the flexibility to reconfigure the arrangement of the totem towers hence I had discounted earlier, however in times of need, needs must. 

I am now venturing into wood and construction methods of working so carry out a health and safety risk assessment and adopt all of the safe working practices required - power tools, heavy handling, chemicals etc.

This was going to be an engineered piece.  It has to accommodate weight, supporting metal rods, access for nuts and washers, and a means of support and levelling  All of this had to be designed and executed precisely as concrete doesn't have a lot of flexibility afterwards.

Shuttering was made from plywood.  Holes were drilled for the rods, cable access and support feet bolts.  The retaining nuts for the feet had to be cast into the concrete and wire mesh had to be suspended to reinforce the concrete.  Wooden dowels had to be inserted  into the rod and cable holes and then supported vertically as these would need to align with the holes in the wooden base blocks and had to be accurate. 






Once the concrete was mixed and poured it had to be levelled.  I didn't want a smooth mix as I wanted it to look rugged and open textured as the next step was to finish the surface with clear resin.  First I have to leave the concrete for a few days to fully cure.


I used a two part resin for the finished surface.  I have used this before and like its clarity and strength.  You have to be patient when using on a large surface area with a bit of depth so pour in layers and let them set before applying the next.  This achieves better results.




Once everything has set I broke out the shuttering and started to cold work the edges of the resin and concrete.  This can be a slow process so it is important to have all the right tools.



Phew, completed on time!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Antemortem

Antemortem This piece portrays the culmination of six months of research and development into the meaning of life, death and the inf...