Friday 7 June 2019

Opaques or Transparents - Sample

One of the big design questions was whether to use opaque or transparent glass, or both.  The one way to figure this out, while also taking into account a technical making step, is to create fused glass samples.  This is also important in identifying which make of glass to use in the final piece.

I selected some samples of glass and of colours that would reflect the developing design.  I cut them to scale and ordered them into both horizontal and vertical layers as this is a good representation of the intended piece.  Thankfully I had a reasonable supply of both opaque and transparent in Bullseye and System 96 makes of glass - the two prominent fusing glass manufacturers.

I fired them in the kiln to a schedule that was I was considering.





These images represent a few of the samples made and give an idea of the comparisons I was making:?
  • How does the light reflect off of the surfaces
  • How does the light transmit through the glass?
  • Is the colour density an issue?
  • How do the colours combine and merge as the viewing angle changes?
  • How defined are the shapes and layers?
  • How structurally sound has the fusing been?
  • Which glass has the best finish?
Lots of questions to be answered.

I also had to look at the process of cold working the glass.  This means any reshaping. cleaning and polishing of the glass you do after it has been fused.  You can see from the last two images above that the ends are irregular while the images above have very rounded edges.  I want to achieve a very regular block with defined edges and flat surfaces.  This will require sawing, grinding and polishing.  I conducted a test of this on the samples to understand the time it would take to achieve the desired finish, this was important in order to incorporate this into my plan.  One thing I have realised is to NEVER underestimate how long cold working glass can take.  The following image shows the process and end result comparison.




So what has this sampling established?

  1. I will use opaque glass for the main horizontal layers of life stages.
  2. I will use transparent glass for the horizontal activity and event layers
  3. I will use clear and colour transparent glass for the vertical transcending influences
  4. I will need to cut, grind and polish in coldworking.

I also established that I was behind schedule and had better get a move on if I was going to finish this project om time..... 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Antemortem

Antemortem This piece portrays the culmination of six months of research and development into the meaning of life, death and the inf...