Friday 7 June 2019

21st Century Totem

I've had great fun investigating my brief for this module: I've researched several belief systems/religions, gained a greater understanding of them and their followers, identified commonalities to explore and develop and, finally, I have selected my preferred direction for final development and creation - Totems.

I was desperate to progress the theme of death masks and casting however the scale of glass pieces could not have been modelled, cast and, critically, annealed (cooled) in the project timescales (annealing would have taken 28 days alone).  Maybe I'll look at this again as the are ideas I would love to realise.

I had also started developing a design for a stained glass window, one that portrayed life after death and strong links to Christianity.  I went as far as to start preparing the glass for this however, when I started out on my Degree I decided to separate my current studio practice (stained glass windows) form my artistic and academic development through cast and warm works.

Not only did the theme of totems alleviate each of the aforementioned issues, artistically, the development of the totems really does get my creative juice flowing.  The challenge is to generate a work of art that represents my generation, my upbringing, my beliefs and something that worthy of being captured as a totem.  

Equally, I'm driven by the prospect of these totems being found hundreds of years from now and how they will be interpreted.  We currently find an object and our best archaeologists cross reference cultural clues to create a meaning and application for the item.  What clues would there be to a future archaeologist given that we are surrounded by so much more data, objects etc in a very global generation?

The simple part now is to make a new totem...…. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Antemortem

Antemortem This piece portrays the culmination of six months of research and development into the meaning of life, death and the inf...