Thursday 17 January 2019

Putting on a show

Research: Books, internet, artists, images
Design: Generate thoughts, develop the ideas, sketch, rethink, consider research influences, refine, reflect, refine, reflect refine....
Develop:  Try the designs, practice the techniques, test the shapes, review the idea concept, problem solve, refine the design, create the pieces
Exhibit: Where, what space, light, surroundings, risks, foot traffic, aesthetics, duration, cleaning, painting, setting up, labelling photographing, enjoying....  Putting on a show!

This summarised 12 weeks of work and it all culminates in a display space no bigger than 400mm wide, 600mm deep and 2.2m tall.

I took time to consider what my pieces required to be presented at their best and, unlike the last brief, I reckoned these needed lots of natural light.  Given the fragile nature of glass and the potentially precarious display I also wanted a located that offered some natural protection.  I surveyed the exhibition corridors and reckoned this location worked well.   It has loads of natural light, over head lighting and protection from the nearby column plus it sits away from the direction of foot traffic.

I took measurements of the space (and left nothing to chance) as I need to understand how a pedestal would sit against the window and how I could utilise the available window area to serve as a backdrop to the piece.  You can read my 'Accessorise me!' blog to see how I developed the backdrop.


I painted my pedestal, washed the windows (pity about the permanent acid staining on the outsides) and washed the floor and sills.  I applied the vinyl backdrop image onto the window and the vinyl runic symbols onto the window safety discs and then set up the artefacts.




I hope you have enjoyed reading the blogs about the creation of this installation.  I have been on a real journey with it and I have learned to embrace the unexpected, follow the research and allow each piece to fulfil its own destiny.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Antemortem

Antemortem This piece portrays the culmination of six months of research and development into the meaning of life, death and the inf...